Home of Rescued Afflicted Children of Nepal (HORAC)
THEME/TYPE OF PROJECT
Helping orphans and children from financially disadvantaged families
AIMS OF THE PROJECT
The aim of the program is to provide food, shelter and education for orphanage children.
HORAC is currently looking after 33 orphans from different parts of Nepal who have found refuge at the orphanage run by it. The orphanage is efficiently run by 11 highly committed members of HORAC’s management committee. It also has four other staff to support different activities the orphanage undertakes. Looking at the exemplary work it is doing, one can safely surmise that the orphanage truly believes in its motto, which is, “If orphaned children are kept in a homely atmosphere and showered with love and affection then they will become good citizen of the nation.” The orphanage is dedicated to helping these children achieve a bright future for them.
HORAC’s office is located in a local community in Lalitpur District.
REQUIREMENTS TO BE MET BY VOLUNTEERS
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, should be reliable and show eagerness as well as be able to maintain their motivation. Volunteers need to also show creativity and initiative while taking part in the project. Most importantly, volunteers need to have confidence in their work, and have time and management skills to ensure an effective support.
TASKS OF VOLUNTEERS
- Teach health and sanitation
- Organize entertaining programs and games
- Help children wash their face and brush their teeth
- Help kids in their studies
- Make sure they eat properly, including serving them or being with them to encourage to eat and make them feel cared for and loved
- Prepare them for schools – including ensuring their uniforms are clean and proper
- Check to see if the children are neat and clean at all times
Some additional (extra) responsibilities:
- Accompany the kids for sightseeing, picnic, or on a visit to the zoo
- Take them on an educational and cultural visit
- Go to the school with kids
- Ensure proper sanitation in the rooms
- Washing children’s clothes
- Teach children drawing, singing songs or play any kind of musical instruments
- Knitting and weaving torn clothes of kids
Note: Outdoor extra activities must be funded by volunteers
NUMBER OF VOLUNTEERS IN THE PROJECT
Maximum three volunteers can work in this project. Volunteers need to check with the hosting organization in advance to see if the project is still available.
Volunteers will stay in a residential area, sharing rooms with volunteers of other nationalities participating in the same program
Lunch & dinner are provided by the local host family. Food is prepared in local style. The main types of food will be rice, lentil soup and vegetables, but once a week the host family will provide you meat in your lunch or dinner. For vegetarians the choice is usually limited to rice, vegetables, lentil soup and pickle.